Tuesday 22 November 2011

Mouse Droid Materials

I chose to texture the mouse droid by applying materials to the polygons, the reason why I did it this way was because I wanted to use procedural maps instead of bit maps, as I could get a better looking random material for the body. The current material that is shown in the image is used for the body of the droid. I used a Smoke procedural map what is a mix of two types of grayish blue, this gave the body a stained look so it did not look bran new. I applied a bump map to the material to give the body a rough look to it. From images online Mouse droid don’t look bran new or very old, I wanted to make the droid look respectable but also make it look like it been warned out slightly over the years but been taken good care of.

With the tilling I set the Y axes to be slightly larger than the others, this will stretch the smoke to give it a metal grain look which will make it more realistic.
I chose not put a lot of detail into this material, as there will never be a close up of that part of the material, so it be pointless to put a lot of detail into it.
The next material is very or exactly the same the body material, but has slightly darker colours so it stands out slightly to the body material.
I applied a bump map to this material as there is a close up of this part of the body in one of the scenes. The bump map is used just to give the exact bit of shading to the animation on the close ups, I’m not to sure if its going to be noticeable, but I’m just adding it in case.

From a bit of research I learnt about material Ids and that they have many purposes. I found that its useful for keeping materials organised. If I had more time I would of made Two Multi/Sub object, one to keep all the body materials in, and one for the wheel materials. The Multi/Sub object for the wheel contains two materials for the wheel, the tier and rim.

The colour of the material is not 100% black as it would be to dark and unnatural, so I chose to keep the material only slightly lighter than being completely black.

For the rim material I used a Architectural, the reason for that was after experimented with some reflections I found using a architectural to be easy to get the effect I want, although it is a bit limited on what I can edit on the architectural material.

No comments:

Post a Comment